How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15201
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are the tax effects if I convert a rental property to

This answer was rated:

What are the tax effects if I convert a rental property to a second home?

Zip Taxes :

Thank you having the trust to answer your question. Please Hit Accept after Questioned Answered... Bonuses are very Welcomed and Appreciated.

Zip Taxes :

If you have been depreciating the home on a schedule E and you want to convert, you can. There are questions in the software to do so on your depreciation questions.

Zip Taxes :

You will show to convert from Rental to Home or Second Home which you can write off the interest and taxes on your Schedule A


What software are you referring to? What about the amount depreciated? If I then sell the property what taxes are owed, if any?

Zip Taxes :

Usually any software would be able to provide you this info

Zip Taxes : is a good one

Zip Taxes :

I keep hearing the Turbo Tax is having issues with Schedule M


Thanks for responding to my question. I appreciate it. I've been using TurboTax for some years and am quite familiar with how it works in this area. I need a more definitive overview of the major tax implications of converting a rental condo to a second home and so would like to get an answer from another Expert. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX your reply.

Zip Taxes :


Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

The previous responder asked me to address your concerns.

Since you can not exclude gain on a second home like you would on a main home, when and if you sale the property you will pay tax on the gain. The depreciation that you claimed or could have claimed will need to be recaptured at the time of sale.

Part of the gain will be taxed as a capital gain and may qualify for the minimum rate on long-term gains. The part of the gain that is related to depreciation, however, will be taxed at a maximum capital gains rate. The technical term for gain related to depreciation on residential property is called unrecaptured section 1250 gain.
While you are using the property as a second home the usual rules apply as to what you may claim on your Schedule A. They are like the ones you may already be claiming for your main home, interest and taxes.

Let me know if you need clarification prior to accepting and thanks again,

Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15201
Experience: 15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you