How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I file my income tax but the wrong account number was put in,

Customer Question

I file my income tax but the wrong account number was put in, what happen to my refund and how do this get corrected?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 years ago.


Hi and welcome to Just Answer!


Once the IRS e-file return is accepted, information pertaining to the payment, such as the account information, payment date or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment transaction and choose another payment method.
Taxpayers should call the Treasury Financial Agent, Customer Service, at 1-888-353-4537, toll-free, to cancel a payment or to report problems such as bank closures, lost or stolen bank account numbers, closed bank accounts or unauthorized transactions. Customer Service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Scheduled payments can be cancelled up to 8:00 p.m. local time, two (2) business days before the scheduled payment date. The cancellation must be authorized by the taxpayer.

Related Tax Questions