How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29570
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was recently offered a job in Hong Kong. I am an american

Resolved Question:

I was recently offered a job in Hong Kong. I am an american citizen and I would have a work visa if I accepted. The recruiter told me that it's an excellent financial opportunity because of the money that I would save on taxes. What is the difference between US taxes and Hong Kong taxes for someone in my situation?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

The recruiter was correct that Hong Kong taxes are relatively low - with maximum tax rate on wages - 20% (compare with 35% in the US) and temporary was reduced to 17% -

You can estimate your annual Hong Kong taxes using this calculator -


As US citizen - you are required to report all your worldwide income, but because you will be living abroad - you might be entitled for a foreign earned income exclusion. That exclusion is not granted automatically - you need to file your tax return to get it.

For the person to qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion - he/she should:
-- Work and reside outside the United States for at least 330 days during the year(Physical Presence test), or
-- Meet either the Bona Fide test.
If the person qualifies, he/she may exclude up to $91,500 (in 2010) in foreign wages -- plus housing allowances. Here are forms you likely need: Form 2555 Instruction 2555

Please also see for reference this publication -


Let me know if you need any help or clarification.

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions