How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29781
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Client contributed to a ROTH IRA but income is too high. He

This answer was rated:

Client contributed to a ROTH IRA but income is too high. He was advised by stock broker to leave the funds in the ROTH and file a form 8606. Is this acceptable?


Hi and welcome back! It seems as you already posted that question - please verify to avoid double charge.

Contributions into Roth IRA are always not deductible - but they are not equal to not deductible contributions into traditional IRA - so based on your information the broker is incorrect.

A 6% excise tax applies to any excess contribution to a Roth IRA.

To avoid a 6% excise tax - the contribution should be either

--Recharacterized the contribution as being made into traditional IRA - that should be communicated with the administrator of the IRA account, or

--Withdrawn on or before the due date (including extensions) for filing your tax return for the year – if that is a contribution for 2010 – we still have time to correct the issue.


Thank for your assistance

Lev and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you