Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My mother passed away on May 30,2010. Her living trust has

Customer Question
a 34.5 % interest in...
My mother passed away on May 30,2010. Her living trust has a 34.5 % interest in commercial property in Medford,Or.
Her 34.5% interest in that property as of the date of her death was worth $ 828,000.00 . She was a resident of California and has no other property or assets in the state of Oregon. However, her total estate with consists of other assets outside of the State of Oregon exceeds 5 million dollars. Her interest in the property in Oregon will pass to me, her son who resides Ca.
QUESTION: Will I owe inheritance tax to the State of Oregon.
Thank You in advance for your answer.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
4/1/2011
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 6 years ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good afternon. You will not owe any inheritance tax in Oregon. The property in Oregon would need to have a value of $1,000,000 or more to be subject to the Oregon inheritance tax.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Tax Attorney
THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY:
IF MY MOTHERS INTEREST IN THE REAL PROPERTY IN OREGON HAD BEEN VALUED OVER 1 MILLION D0LLARS WOULD THE VALUE OF HER TOTAL ESTATE BE USED TO CALCULATE THE INHERITANCE TAX RATE IN OREGON OR ONLY THE VALUE OF THE PROPERTY IN OREGON.
Only the value of property in Oregon.
Richard, Tax Attorney