Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My mother is 87 years old and rceives a retirement check from

her deceased husband and also...
My mother is 87 years old and rceives a retirement check from her deceased husband and also, receives social securtiy check each month. Her yearly income is approximately $17,165.00. She has $162.00 deducted in Federal taxes and her insurance contribution of $717.52. Would she be better to have the $162.00 (federal taxes) not taken from her retirement check ? Also, does she have to file income taxes, since she makes so little each year?
Thank you so much for your help?

Sue English
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/1/2011
Richard, Tax Attorney
Good morning. Does the $17,000 include her social security? Thanks.

Yes it includes her social security . Her SSI is 9,500.00 and her retirement is 7,664.04.

The 162.00 is the federal taxes taken out of her retirement check.

Thanks...Then she is going to owe no tax and the only reason she will want to file a tax return is to get the $162/month refunded. Going forward, she should notify the retirement folks not to withhold anything because she's not going to owe any tax. Once she has no tax to get refunded, she will not need to sign a return.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney