Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am a writer and Ive been asked to read a chapter of my latest

Customer Question
I am a writer and...
I am a writer and I've been asked to read a chapter of my latest children's book to a 3rd grade elementary school. I plan on giving @80 copies to the children for free (the book retails for $10) How much of a tax deduction can I take?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/1/2011
Tax Professional: MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 6 years ago
MequonCPA
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer:

As the sale of the book would be ordinary income you, your deduction is the value of the book less the profit you would receive on the book. Thus, your deduction is limited to your actual cost of the book.

MequonCPA
MequonCPA
MequonCPA