Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If my 27 year old son has lived with me for the entire year,

Customer Question
had an income for 2010...
If my 27 year old son has lived with me for the entire year, had an income for 2010 of 16,000, can I file head of household but not claim his as a depenent?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
4/1/2011
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 6 years ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good morning. Given your facts...as long as you pay more than 1/2 the costs of maintaining the household, yes, you can claim head of household status, even though you do not claim him as a dependent.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney