Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

received a 1099-R for a early distribution 403 (b) Plan. I

Customer Question
live in California but the...
received a 1099-R for a early distribution 403 (b) Plan. I live in California but the source of the $506.33 dollar payout was from Massachusetts. This payout is my only Mass. income....do I need to file a Mass. tax form.....Fed taxe and Mass taxes were already taken out.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
4/1/2011
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 6 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Customer:

hi

LEV :

Retirement income is taxable only based on your residency, not based on the location of the payer, - thus, if you are resident of California - the distribution from 403(b) account is taxable only for California.

LEV :

You may file Massachusetts tax return as a nonresident to claim a refund for state tax withheld, but you are not required.

Customer:

thx....the payee may have messed up as they had my old Mass. address on file....and deducted Fed and Mass tax....does that matter...even though they sent distribution to California address...

LEV :

It is possible, so if the amount of Massachusetts tax withheld is substantial - the only way to get it back - by filing the tax return,

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor