How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can I take medical expenses that I pay for my son who is a

Resolved Question:

can I take medical expenses that I pay for my son who lives in a resident group home for steadfast. He is receiving social security disability payments.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I will give the best answer that I can with the information provided.


Hello there,

Does youcover more than 1/2 the cost of his support? The reason I am asking is that in order to deduct medical expenses, the person that you pay them for must either be your dependent, or a person that would be your dependent expect that he/she makes more than the exemption amount ($3650--not counting SS disability payments). If your son does not live with you, in order for him to be a dependent you would need to pay more than 1/2 the cost of his support.

Wendy Reed and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you