Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

A Social Security agent calculated that ony 85% of the benifits

Customer Question
<p>A Social Security agent calculated...
<p>A Social Security agent calculated that ony 85% of the benifits paid to me and reported on Form SSA- 1099, boxes #3 & #5 is taxable. In trying to declare this income in doing turbo tax, I don't see where I put the 85% amount. Does turbo tax compute this figure automatically, perhaps on a seperate schedule ? I obviously only want to declare the 85% amount as taxable. Please advise.</p><p> I need to step away from my computer for the next 30 minutes. I will respond to your answer upon my return. Was my question clear ?</p>
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/1/2011
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 6 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

LEV :

Your social security benefits may be not taxable at all or may be partly taxable.

Here is a simple test - take half of your social security benefits plus the amount of other taxable income - if the total is below $25,000 (for single) - none of your social security benefits are taxable.

If the total is above $25,000 - part of your social security benefits are taxable - there is a special worksheet to calculate the taxable amount. The taxable amount may not be more than 85% of your social security benefits.

You do not need to do anything specifically – if you enter the information from your SSA-1099 and all other tax information – the tax software prepares the worksheet and calculate the taxable amount (if any) of your social security benefits.

You may verify if these are calculated properly:

If you are using the form 1040 – total social security benefits are reported on the line 20a and the taxable part – on the line 20b.

For the form 1040A – these are lines 14a and 14b.

LEV :

Please let me know if you need any help.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor