How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55714
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my bofreind lives with me. he lost his job a year or so ago.

This answer was rated:

my bofreind lives with me. he lost his job a year or so ago. he is not working (so will not be filing a tax return) but does handyman work around the house. does he need to report income for the work he has done in return for my picking up room and board for him. also he did not file a return for the last year in which he had W2 wages (because there was no withholding and he didn't have the money to pay) thank you.

Good evening. He doesn't need to file a return for living with you for nothing. But, with regard to last year, he needs to file a return if he is going to owe tax. There is one set of penalties and interest for not being able to pay versus another for not filing. He should may be with his standard deduction and personal exemption, he may not owe tax.



I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.


If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you