How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29962
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are you responsible for paying taxes on embezzled money even

This answer was rated:

Are you responsible for paying taxes on embezzled money even if it is paid back in full through the courts


Hi and welcome to Just Answer!


Can you clarify if the money was embezzled and repaid in the same year?


money taken 2008-2010 paid back in 2010


Since the embezzlement is treated as income, the entity that was a subject of embezzlement should report it to the IRS. Thus - you need to report the income in 2008, 2009, 2010 correspondingly. You should have separate form 1099-misc for 2008, 2009, 2010.

The fact of repayment does not affect the reporting requirement.

You may deduct the amount repaid in 2010 on the schedule A as a miscellaneous itemized deduction subject to the 2% adjusted gross income floor limit.

Lev and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you