How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the sole owner and sole employee of a California s-corporation.

This answer was rated:

I am the sole owner and sole employee of a California s-corporation. Must I pay SDI tax? Must I pay unemployment tax? I have heard that I can be exempt from both. What must I do to be exempt?


Hi and welcome to Just Answer!


Generally - you are not exempt from unemployment tax, but you may request exemption from SDI.

For Unemployment Insurance (UI), Employment Training Tax (ETT), and State Disability Insurance* (SDI) purposes, employee includes an officer of a corporation, an employee under the usual common law rules, and any worker whose services are specifically covered by law.

Under the California Unemployment Insurance Code - certain employees and certain types of work

are not subject to one or more employment taxes: Unemployment Insurance (UI), Employment Training Tax

(ETT), State Disability Insurance (SDI) – please see more common exemptions in this publication -

See also the table starting from the page 16 in California Employer’s Guide -

The corporation must report your wages and pay contributions for unemployment insurance unless your corporation is not subject to the Federal Unemployment Tax Act (FUTA). Only certain types of nonprofit and agricultural corporations are not subject to FUTA.

In a private corporation, any person who is a corporate officer and sole shareholder, or the only shareholder other than his or her spouse, may file a statement electing to be excluded only from state disability insurance coverage SDI for contributions and benefits. Here is a form to use -

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you