How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie B. Your Own Question
Stephanie B.
Stephanie B., Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 556
Experience:  MTax, EA, QuickBooks Proadvisor. Over 15 years accounting and tax experience specializing in individual and small business.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Stephanie B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do i need to file a 1040 if our 2 person llc partnership filed

Customer Question

Do i need to file a 1040 if our 2 person llc partnership filed a 1065 and my personal income was less than the $3650 for a married person not filing jointly? The IRS site says a self-employed person must file if they earn more than $400, does the filing of a 1065 cover that obligation?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephanie B. replied 6 years ago.

Stephanie B. :

The partnership is a pass thru entity. This means that the partnership files a tax return, the 1065, but does not pay tax. The income flows thru to the members of the partnership who must then pay the tax on their personal tax return, the 1040. If on the partnership K-1, there is a positive amount on line 14 code A, this is the amount that is subject to SE tax. So you would have to pay SE tax on this amount on your personal tax return providing the SE income is $400 or more. Please let me know if this doens't answer your question completely.


Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX that mean if I calculated my SE income to be less than $400 then I don't have to file?

Stephanie B. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Stephanie B. replied 6 years ago.

That could be true. However, if your partnership has a loss that creates an NOL, you will want to file in order for that NOL to be carried forward or carried back. And if your partnership has any credits that could carry forward or back, you would want to file to get those in the records.