Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Do i need to file a 1040 if our 2 person llc partnership filed

Customer Question
a 1065 and my personal...
Do i need to file a 1040 if our 2 person llc partnership filed a 1065 and my personal income was less than the $3650 for a married person not filing jointly? The IRS site says a self-employed person must file if they earn more than $400, does the filing of a 1065 cover that obligation?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
3/30/2011
Tax Professional: Stephanie B., Enrolled Agent replied 6 years ago
Stephanie B.
Stephanie B., Enrolled Agent

Stephanie B. :

The partnership is a pass thru entity. This means that the partnership files a tax return, the 1065, but does not pay tax. The income flows thru to the members of the partnership who must then pay the tax on their personal tax return, the 1040. If on the partnership K-1, there is a positive amount on line 14 code A, this is the amount that is subject to SE tax. So you would have to pay SE tax on this amount on your personal tax return providing the SE income is $400 or more. Please let me know if this doens't answer your question completely.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX that mean if I calculated my SE income to be less than $400 then I don't have to file?

Stephanie B.
Stephanie B., Enrolled Agent

That could be true. However, if your partnership has a loss that creates an NOL, you will want to file in order for that NOL to be carried forward or carried back. And if your partnership has any credits that could carry forward or back, you would want to file to get those in the records.

Stephanie B.
Stephanie B.
Stephanie B., Enrolled Agent