Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I live in Minnesota, have a cabin in Wisconsin. Want to leave

Customer Question
to daughter. If we use...
I live in Minnesota, have a cabin in Wisconsin. Want to leave to daughter. If we use an irravocable trust, how difficult is it to do the taxes? Same question if we do a life estate? Thank You Tom Leach
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
3/30/2011
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 6 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Irrevocable trust is a separate legal (and taxing ) entity - and has to file its own tax return. Here is the form to be used - www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1041.pdf

For filing requirements - see instructions - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1041.pdf - for trusts - see page 4 - you must file the form 1041 if either the trust has any taxable income or gross income (not necessary taxable) $600 or more or a beneficiary is a non resident alien.

To evaluate complexity of preparing the income tax return for the trust - see page 35 where the IRS estimated required time – and possible overhead - just to prepare the form it might take in average a little more than 30 hours. Please be aware that not all tax preparers may do income tax returns for trusts.

Let me know if you need any help.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX this over with my wife and the person who will be running the trust if we go that way.

LEV :

Take your time. Let me kno wif you need any calrification.

Customer:

The trust will have no income other than the money necessary to pay the bills, approx. $1500.00 a year

LEV :

According to you - the trust will not have TAXABLE income, but will have $1500 not taxable income - and tax return will be required.

Customer:

What about doing taxes for a life estate?

LEV :

"Life estate" is a form of ownership - it is not a legal entity - there is no special tax return "for life estate"

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor