Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

A clients parents made $4,431.00 combined income in 2010. Can

Customer Question
both parents be claimed on...
A clients parents made $4,431.00 combined income in 2010. Can both parents be claimed on there children's tax returns?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
3/30/2011
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 6 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

Robin D :

Each person seperately would need to meet the requirements as a dependent. In other words if the Gross income requirement is in question then they each would need to have earned less than $3,650. Unless the earned amount is a joint venture or investment then you cannot take their totals and divide.

To be claimed as a qualifying relative, the person (each person) must meet all of the following criteria:

Not a qualifying child - The dependent cannot be a qualifying child of another taxpayer.

Gross Income – The dependent earns less than the personal exemption amount during the year. For 2009 and 2010, this means the dependent earns less than $3,650.

Total Support – You provide more than half of the dependent's total support during the year.

Relationship – You are related to the dependent in certain ways (Parent is one).

Joint Return – If the dependent is married, the dependent cannot file a joint return with his or her spouse.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4