How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15185
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A clients parents made $4,431.00 combined income in 2010. Can

Resolved Question:

A clients parents made $4,431.00 combined income in 2010. Can both parents be claimed on there children's tax returns?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 years ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

Robin D :

Each person seperately would need to meet the requirements as a dependent. In other words if the Gross income requirement is in question then they each would need to have earned less than $3,650. Unless the earned amount is a joint venture or investment then you cannot take their totals and divide.

To be claimed as a qualifying relative, the person (each person) must meet all of the following criteria:

Not a qualifying child - The dependent cannot be a qualifying child of another taxpayer.

Gross Income – The dependent earns less than the personal exemption amount during the year. For 2009 and 2010, this means the dependent earns less than $3,650.

Total Support – You provide more than half of the dependent's total support during the year.

Relationship – You are related to the dependent in certain ways (Parent is one).

Joint Return – If the dependent is married, the dependent cannot file a joint return with his or her spouse.

Robin D. and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you