Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I received $13,000 from my two aunts ($26,000) and $26,000

Customer Question
from my parents as gifts...
I received $13,000 from my two aunts ($26,000) and $26,000 from my parents as gifts in 2010 for investment purposes. Do I have to declare the total $52,000 as income on my return and do my aunts and parents need to declare anything on their return
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2011
Tax Professional: Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney replied 6 years ago
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney

Wallstreet Esq. :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney

Since the amounts given to you are at the annual exclusion limit they do not have to declare the gist as part of a tax return.

If they made a taxable gift, they must file Form 709: U.S. Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return, which is due April 15 of the following year. Even if they do not owe a gift tax because they have not reached the $1 million limit, they are still required to file this form if they made a gift that exceeds the $13,000 annual gift tax exclusion level. The IRS needs to keep a running tab of their lifetime exemption.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney