How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Whats the difference between forms 2553 and 8832

Resolved Question:

What's the difference between forms 2553 and 8832?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  jgordosea replied 6 years ago.



Form 8832 is used by a Limited Liability Company to choose to be classified for tax purposes (and to be taxed) as other than the default classification. For example, if no election is made a single member LLC is disregarded and a multimember LLC is treated as a partnership. In either of those cases if the LLC wants to elect to be taxed as a corporation the Form 8832 is used.

Form 8832 can also be used to change a prior election.


Form 2553 is used by a corporation to elect to be treated as a pass-through entity (Subchapter S corporation) and to indicate the tax year elected. Similar to partners in a partnership, income of an S corporation generally is taxed to the shareholders of the corporation rather than to the corporation itself.


See LLCs Classified as Corporations

"LLCs electing classification as an S corporation are not required to file Form 8832 to elect classification as a corporation before filing Form 2553. By filing Form 2553, an LLC is deemed to have elected classification as a corporation in addition to the S corporation classification. "


Please ask if you need clarification.

Best wishes.

jgordosea and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you