How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

State of Michigan taxes Earned long term disability payments

This answer was rated:

State of Michigan taxes: Earned long term disability payments from a third party ( insurance co.) payor from out of state emplorer - TN. Reported on W-2 as third party sick pay. Moved to MI in april 2010, about same time the payments began. I think I have to report as income on MI Tax but don't really want to! Need advice. Thanks.


Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I will give the best answer that I can with the information provided.


Hello Jeff,

Unfortunately third party sick pay is not exempt from Michigan tax. As a part year resident, you would be responsible for paying Michigan tax on all income received during your period of MI residency. So if you received the third party sick pay while a resident of MI, even if the pay was earned in connection with work in TN, it would still be taxable to MI. MI has reciprocal state agreements, but not with TN. You would be eligible for a credit for taxes paid to another state if you paid TN tax, but since TN has no tax on wage income, this does not apply.


Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Wendy Reed and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you