Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

Is there a similar treaty with France My father-in-law is

Is there a similar treaty with France? My father-in-law is a US resident and receives a small French military pension.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 years ago.

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

LEV :

Yes - there is US-France tax treaty.

LEV :

Convention, remuneration, other than a pension, paid by France, a local authority thereof, or an agency or instrumentality of France or a local authority thereof (collectively the French government), to a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) of the United States, whether or not a national of France, for services provided to the French government in the United States is taxable in both France and the United States. Double taxation is relieved under paragraph 1 of Article 24 (Relief from Double Taxation).

LEV :

That means each country sets its own rules how pension is taxed and unless specifically excluded - generally it might be taxed by both countries.