Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If you offer a part time employee full time work and they refuse,

Customer Question
are they still eligible for...
If you offer a part time employee full time work and they refuse, are they still eligible for unemployment compensation as a part time employee? I think that a person would not actually be eligible based on the previous answer that I received. However if we offer to extend the houurs of employment and the employee refuses because they want to work part time, how do we let the employment commission know that they have refused to work full time?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
3/2/2011
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 6 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

Robin D :

Per SC law:

Section 41-27-525 was added to allow for benefits to some part-time workers. If the majority of the weeks of work in an individual’s base period includes part-time work, the individual shall not be denied unemployment benefits under any provisions of this act relating to availability for work, active search for work, or failure to accept work, solely because the individual is seeking only part-time work. The phrase “seeking only part-time work”, as used in this subsection, means the individual claiming unemployment benefits is available for a number of hours per week that are comparable to the individual’s part-time work experience in the base period.

Robin D :

SECTION 41-35-120. Covers the Disqualification for benefits. Number 5 under that section does site Failure to accept work but the previous section I mentioned (41-27-525) specifically addresses the refusal is not grounds to deny benfits if the individual was seeking part time only and had been consistent with that through out.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4