Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

What is the IRS installment agreement payment grace period?

Customer Question

Hello - How much time does the IRS give you to pay on an installment agreement? My first payment was due on 2/28, but I won’t be able to pay until 3/14.

Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 years ago.

The IRS does not have a grace period for paying the installment agreement. Throughout the term of an installment agreement, your payments must be made on time. If your payments cannot be made due to a change in your financial condition, you should contact the IRS immediately. Failure to make timely payments could default your agreement. A default of your installment agreement may cause the filing of a Notice of Federal Tax Lien and/or an IRS levy action.