Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am an active duty Air Force stationed in Missouri and My

Customer Question
home of record is California...
I am an active duty Air Force stationed in Missouri and My home of record is California. This is my first time filling on my own and I think that the companies who did it for me before said I dont have to pay taxes to California anymore. But since I do still pay to them do I get to file exempt and get all that mobey back, and how do I do that?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
3/2/2011
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 6 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

Robin D :

If you were a member of the military during the taxable year and your domicile is California, they consider you a resident of California. While stationed in California on permanent military orders, you are subject to tax on all income regardless of its source. While stationed outside of California on Permanent Change of Station (PCS) Orders, you are not subject to tax on your military wages.

Robin D :

Since the California tax return starts with Federal AGI, you must make an adjustment on your CA return. You will file as a Nonresident of California. Here is alink to the CA Publication 1032 that is geared toward military personnel
http://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2010/10_1032.pdf

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4