Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I had two jobs last year and at one of my jobs I received a

Customer Question
1099. It is for...
I had two jobs last year and at one of my jobs I received a 1099. It is for $13,000. I made about $34,000 at my regular job and was taxed. I am married and have 2 dependants. Right now we don't owe anything, but once I add in that $13,000 about how much am I going to owe in taxes?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
3/1/2011
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 6 years ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good afternoon. Ok...If you are married filing jointly with two dependents (you and your wife), you have a standard deduction of $11,400 plus dependent deductions of $7300 (i.e., $3650 each). That givees you total deductions of $18,700. If you only made $34,000, your taxable income would have been $15,300 and your tax would be $1533 . But, with the additional $13,000, your taxable income increases from $15,300 to $28,300, and on that your tax is $3411.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

My husband also made about $25,000 in unemployment last year, will that increase what we owe in taxes? I started to do our return and we don't owe anything at the moment. I just have not added that $13,000 in yet. Or once I add in the $13,000 will we still just owe around $3,400?

Unemployment compensation is includible in gross income. You must report unemployment compensation on line 19 of Form 1040, line 13 of Form 1040A, or line 3 of Form 1040EZ. As a result, your taxable income will increase by an additional $25,000.

Will we still owe the same amount of money or will it be more?

With your unemployment, your taxable income would increase from $28,300 to $53,300. The total tax owed on this amount would be $7161. You would, of course, receive credit for any amounts withheld from your pay.

I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney