Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My mother, a shareholder in a public company, did not want

Customer Question
to sell her shares but...
My mother, a shareholder in a public company, did not want to sell her shares but her company is the subject of a tender offer which WILL go through such that she is being forced to sell at a capital loss. As she is an elderly person on a fixed income, she will never be able to make use of those losses. Is there any way to transfer those losses to her kids, or to put them in some kind of trust or corporate entity so they can be "used" by the trust or corporate entity?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
3/1/2011
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 6 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

LEV :

Your mother may gift shares to you - your basis will be either her cost basis or fair market value of shares at the time of gifting - whatever is less. If you will be forced to sell shares at a loss - that will be your capital loss.

LEV :

Alternatively – shares may be transferred to the trust – but for the sale to be detached from your mother’s taxes – that should be irrevocable trust – so you need to consider overhead costs for maintaining the trust. Capital losses could be used to offset other gains or distributed to beneficiaries.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor