How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My employer contibuted $750 to my HSA I contributed $5000

Resolved Question:

My employer contibuted $750 to my HSA I contributed $5000 as a before tax contribution. Box12 (W) says $5750. What number do I enter on line 2 of the Form 8889? Do I enter 0 because it was a before tax contibution or $5000 because that is the amount we contributed?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I will give the best answer that I can with the information provided.



This is correct. Line 2 says not to enter contributions made through a cafeteria plan--which are treated as employer contributions. Cafeteria plan means pre-tax contributions in this context.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So you didn't exactly answer which number I should use on line 2 Form 8889. Do I use $0 or $5000?
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, I meant $0---because you are correct that is was a pretax contribution.
Wendy Reed and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you