Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I was married last july and we purchased a home in November.

I was married last july and we purchased a home in November. We only had one house payment affect last year so we have roughly 142 paid in interest that we can write off. I was told that i can use my down payment if i itemize is that true? Also I was told by someone at a tax office that i should file jointly to get the benefits of that, but it pushes my wife's and my income together to about 49k last year, if i file seperately can we still qualify for the earned income tax credit on our own? Thank you,

Ryan
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 years ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

Robin D :

First filing status, if you file Married Filing Separate (which is your only other option if you do not file Joint) you will not be allowed to claim Earned Income Credit.

MFS taxpayers are also not eligible to claim the following tax benefits:

• Tuition and fees deduction

• Student loan interest deduction

• Tax-free exclusion of US bond interest

• Tax-free exclusion of Social Security Benefits

• Credit for the Elderly and Disabled

• Child and Dependent Care Credit

• Hope or Lifetime Learning Educational Credits

Robin D :

The Married Filing Jointly filing status provides more tax benefits than filing separate returns, but taxpayers will need to weigh the pros and cons and decide for themselves which is the best filing status. Do your return both ways to see which is better.

Robin D :

Now, what you are allowed to claim for home purchase. The term "points" is used to describe certain charges paid to obtain a home mortgage. Points are prepaid interest, and may be deductible as home mortgage interest, if you itemize deductions on Form 1040, Schedule A. If you can deduct all of the interest on your mortgages, you may be able to deduct all of the points paid on the mortgage. The points you paid should be shown on your 1098 from the lender. I believe this may be what the person was referring to when they said you could deduct your down payment. If the amount you paid was not listed as points you cannot deduct it.