Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I recently refinanced my mortgage. I had previously refinanced

Customer Question
I recently refinanced my mortgage...
I recently refinanced my mortgage. I had previously refinanced in 2009. I was told that I can claim the charges I paid on the 2009 refinance as deductibles. What of the charges can I claim? Do I claim them as points? I'll need to do an addendum as I've already e-filed my 2010 returns.

Thanks!

Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
3/1/2011
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 6 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

Robin D :

The following are some of the settlement fees and closing costs that you can include in the original basis of your home.

• Abstract fees (abstract of title fees).

• Charges for installing utility services.

• Legal fees (including fees for the title search and preparation of the sales contract and deed).

• Recording fees.

• Surveys.

• Transfer or stamp taxes.

• Owner's title insurance

The above are not deducted in the yera you buy or refinance but added to your basis of the home.

Robin D :

The term "points" is used to describe certain charges paid to obtain a home mortgage. Points paid for refinancing generally can only be deducted over the life of the new mortgage. However, if you use part of the refinanced mortgage proceeds to improve your main home and the points were paid for the use or forbearance of money and were not a charge for services provided by the lender as part of a loan origination fee , you can fully deduct the part of the points related to the improvement in the year you paid them with your own funds.

Customer:

So I add them all and claim the total as "points"?

Robin D :

No, they are added to the basis of your home. They are not points. If you originally purchased your home for $100,000 and all those costs at closing come to $5000 then your home basis is now $105,000

Customer:

Okay, I believe I understand. Thanks.

Robin D :

You are welcome

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4