How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

As an S corporation one person stockholder I show an annual

Resolved Question:

As an S corporation one person stockholder I show an annual business income on the 1120S which transfers as an income on my personal 1040 and also gets added to the company accumulated adjustment account Schedule M-2 Form 1120S. If I make a distribution from the Accumulated Adjustment Account to myself as the stockholder, that amount goes back to my 1040 as an income. This means I am paying tax twice for business income. I am having difficulty understanding this.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.


You almost have it. The double tax situation you are concerned about does not exist. If there is a profit that is not taken it does get taxed to you in the year recognized whether or not you take it. However, if in some future period you do withdraw it, it is not taxed again. Distributions are not taxable, profits are.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I like your response. However, it appears that if I take a distribution it gets recorded on schedule K-1 block 16 with the current income in block 1 which means they get combined as income on the 1040?? Are you saying I do not need to record the distribution on the K-1??


Many thanks for your help.

Expert:  CGCPA replied 6 years ago.
You do not need to reflect the distribution on Schedule K or K-1. It is a Schedule M item only.
CGCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you