How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29964
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a student with a work permit and he also attends school

Resolved Question:

I have a student with a work permit and he also attends school , Our business is in the State of Md.. Do I need to withold Fed. and State axes on the student?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Yes - you need to withhold federal and state income taxes for that person according to W4 form even if he/she is a nonresident alien on the student visa.

For withholding rules - see IRS publication 15 page 18 -

Nonresident alien employee's Form W-4. When completing Forms W-4, nonresident aliens are required to:

  • Not claim exemption from income tax withholding,

  • Request withholding as if they are single, regardless of their actual marital status,

  • Claim only one allowance (if the nonresident alien is a resident of Canada, Mexico, or Korea, he or she may claim more than one allowance), and

  • Write "Nonresident Alien" or "NRA" above the dotted line on line 6 of Form W-4.

Lev and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you