How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My exwife was my dependent for the entire fiscal year of 2009.

Resolved Question:

My exwife was my dependent for the entire fiscal year of 2009. She did not work at all. When I filed for taxes that year she wanted half after we seperated. Am I obligated to give it to her.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.


Although you are not legally obligated to split the refund with her, you may find it practical to reach an agreement to give her some portion and let it be done with.


Perhaps the easiest way is to calculate your refund withhout claiming her and compare that refund to the actual refund you will receive. That is truly the portion applicable to her.

CGCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you