How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29965
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When my husband died 3 years ago he had a charge account in

This answer was rated:

When my husband died 3 years ago he had a charge account in his name only and for his use only. I sent a death certificate and a letter to the card holder stating that he did not have an estate. This year I received a letter from the card holder telling me that they had finally written it off and that they had notified the IRS of the amount aproximately 1800.00. My question is do I have to file with the IRS because this is considered part of his would be estate?


Hi and welcome to Just Answer!


All income the decedent would have received had death not occurred that was not properly includible on the final return, discussed earlier, is income in respect of a decedent.

That is true for all income types including forgiven debt. Generally - that amount should be reported on the estate tax return form 1041 and because the estate is insolvent - the form 982 should be used to exclude that amount from taxable income.


In your specific situation - to avoid additional expenses for filing the estate tax return - I suggest to write a letter to the IRS with explanation - attach a copy of the death certificate and a copy of the form 1099-C asking to close the decedent's account. You may just walk into your local IRS office - see locations here -,,id=98330,00.html - no appointment is necessary. You will discuss your issues with an IRS representative across the counter and handle the letter.

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you