How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, About five years ago I purchased an internet discussion

Resolved Question:


About five years ago I purchased an internet discussion forum(similar to for $200. Recently, I was offered $16,000 for the forum. I was wondering if I am able to claim the gains as capital gains versus claiming it as regular income.

Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.


You can claim this as a capital gain. It is the sale of a business rather than the ongoing operation of that business.


If you need additional assistance, please feel free to ask.

CGCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you