How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I own a trust fund in England and pay taxes there, I was

Resolved Question:

Hi, I own a trust fund in England and pay taxes there, I was wondering if I'd be able to get an exemption from paying taxes here in the US for already paying taxes in the UK through the US/UK Double Taxation Treaty, and how to take advantage of this exemption.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!


Please find the form 1116 here - and instructions here -

If the same income is taxable in the US and in a foreign country - you might be able to claim a credit for foreign taxes paid on your US tax return. The form 1116 is used to calculate the amount of the credit and should be attached to your US tax return.

The credit will be claimed on the form 1040 line 47 -


If you did not claim a credit in previous years - you may amend your part tax return and claim an additional refund. Generally - you have three years to claim a refund before the statute of limitation runs out.

Please be aware that if the distribution from the trust is more than $100,000 - additional reporting is required.


Let me know if you need any help or clarification.


Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you