How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anne Your Own Question
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2439
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Anne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have 2 clients whom are married to each other. They are separated.

Resolved Question:

I have 2 clients whom are married to each other. They are separated. For one client, I filled Head of household with the children. Is it okay to file married filling separately for the second client?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for using justanswer. Not only is it ok, assuming that the other spouse met the criteria for using the Head of Household filing status, unless the other spouse also meets the same requirements for filing head of household (for example, they had 2 children, 1 of which slept at the father's home for at least 1 more day than at the mother's, and the other slept 1 day longer than that at the mother's making them both head of households) it is the ONLY filling status open for the other spouse, unless they choose to file jointly, which is always an option until they are divorced.

I hope this helps.
Anne and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you