How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29579
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello. If i owe the IRS money, and I did not work last year,

Customer Question


If i owe the IRS money, and I did not work last year, could I be claimed on someone else's return- as a dependent? And if so, would the IRS take from them what I owe? Or would that be on my separate account? Thank You
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 6 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

The fact that you owe taxes to the IRS has no effect on your qualifications to be a dependent - as long as all requirements are met - you may be claimed as a dependent on someone's tax return.

If someone claims you as a dependent - that person will not be liable for your tax debt and his/her refund will not be garnished for your tax debt.

However - that will not eliminate your tax debt.


Let me know if you need any help or clarification.


Related Tax Questions