How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29576
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i had a home i was renting out as a vacation type rental.

This answer was rated:

i had a home i was renting out as a vacation type rental. my son returned home last year so i let him stay there for no charge. i have stopped renting it, but still own it. do i have to do anything special on my 2010 tax return.


Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Actually - you converted the property from rental to personal use. There are no any tax complications unless you eventually will decide to sell the property.

You should stop depreciating property when you retire it from service, even if you have not fully recovered its cost or other basis.

If you rented the property part of 2010 – you will file the schedule E and report your rental income and rental expenses for that part of the year.

Let me know if you need any help or clarification.

Lev and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you