How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MequonCPA Your Own Question
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2342
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
MequonCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

2010 was the first full year that my wife and I have been married.

This answer was rated:

2010 was the first full year that my wife and I have been married. Do we have to file our taxes together or can we file seperate? If we can file seperate, how do we file our child? Does one of us file her, or do we split her?

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer:


Now that you are married you have two options. You can file Married Filing Jointly (MFJ) (combined income and deductions) or you can each file Married Filing Separately (MFS). Most times, MFJ will provide the lowest tax liability. Also, if you choose MFS you must both claim the standard deduction or both itemize deductions. Additionally there are some special rules when you file MFS. See pages 6 & 7 of IRS Publication 501 (link below)


Regarding your child, only one of you can claim the child as a dependent.


MequonCPA and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you