Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

On Form 1040 line 39a if you were born before 1946 you fill

Customer Question
in the box. Are...
On Form 1040 line 39a if you were born before 1946 you fill in the box. Are you supposed to enter an amount somewhere, or subtract a certain amount for the # XXXXX the box/
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
2/27/2011
Tax Professional: RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 6 years ago
RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
If you or your spouse were born before the date listed on Line 39a, check the appropriate box. If 1 box is checked than you enter number 1 against the Total boxes checked line 39a.

Your standard deduction in such a case will be higher. So if you are filing single and are over age 65 than your standard deduction on Line 40 will be $7100 instead of $5700.

Let me know if you have any question.

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.

RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
RD
RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)