Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

can i claim single on my w4 if i am married

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
2/20/2011
Tax Professional: legaleagle, Attorney replied 6 years ago
legaleagle
legaleagle, Attorney

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. I will provide you information today.

Yes if you and your were legally separated under your state law.

Edited by legaleagle on 2/20/2011 at 7:40 PM EST
Relist: Other.
I was getting other answers bu other people that i could
I was told we could claim single on our w4 if we are married to get more taken out
Sorry I was reading too fast and totally missed that you asked for you W4 not for your tax return. Yes you can claim single and 0 so that the max is taken out even if you are married.
legaleagle
legaleagle, Attorney
Tax Professional: Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent replied 6 years ago
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
The taxpayer may choose "married, but withhold at higher single rate" to get the benefit of single withholding rates. Taxpayer does not have to be divorced or legally separated to choose single on W4 form.
legaleagle
legaleagle
legaleagle, Attorney