How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxMomNJ Your Own Question
TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 245
Experience:  7 years experience with tax preparation company, over 500 hours of tax courses taken
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxMomNJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a adoption carryover from last year. How can be sure

Resolved Question:

I had a adoption carryover from last year. How can be sure to use the right amount and where does it go on form 8839? also do i have to mail copy of adoption decree with forms?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxMomNJ replied 6 years ago.

TaxMomNJ : Customer when you use H&R Block online to prepare your taxes, did it ask you if you had an adoption from a prior year?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No. It ask did you adopt or were You in the process of adopting in 2010; but this is the only place on form to put childs info. I adopted 2 children in 2009. Total credit line 7 8839 was 24,300 /2009. Adoption credit taken 2009 10,920, line 18 8839/2009. Next question or page in software is carry over amounts. This where I run into a problem in figuring amount I can put for carry over from 2009. My total tax line 60/1040 is 17,263. Can I carry forward 13,380?

Expert:  TaxMomNJ replied 6 years ago.



I looked at H & R Block online to find out how you go about inputting the carry forward.


When you are in the program, on the "Credits" main screen, there are a bunch of boxes you can click on to add information to the return. One of the boxes is "Adoption credit or carry forward". Click the box.


When you proceed, it will ask you about the adopted children and date adoption was finalized. It then asks what you spent in 2010. Enter "0". Then, it will ask you about your carry forward. Make sure you have last year's return in front of you and it will guide you right through it.


I hope this helps. Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with and thank you for adopting and providing two children a family and home.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK Thank You , I think I got it.. It was just confusing the way they laid it out.. Now please confirm that if the credit in 2009 was 24,300 and I only to0k 10,920. Can I take the entire difference 13,380.?
Expert:  TaxMomNJ replied 6 years ago.



The adoption credit is allowed over a 5-year period. You do not need to take it over the course of 5 years. You just cannot take more than what your tax liability is. If you took a $10,920 credit last year, that was what your tax liability was. If your tax liability this year is $13,380 or more, you can take the entire amount on this return. If your tax liability is less, you can take up to your tax liability and carry the rest forward to next year. The number on line 46 of your form 1040 is what your tax liability is for 2010. When you fill out the information, put $13,380 as your "carry forward from 2009". The program will allow up to your tax liability.


Please let me know if I can help you further.

TaxMomNJ and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you