Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My refund date was pushed back 3 times already February 1,

My refund date was pushed...
My refund date was pushed back 3 times already: February 1, February 8, February 22. Now it is saying that my return is delayed due processing. Also it says if you want to contact us please mention code 1201. What does it mean? I know I don't owe any taxes or child support or student loans etc. It is simple 1040EZ. What can be the problem?
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/9/2011
ShawnA
ShawnA, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.

Shawn P Adamo, QFP, CPA/P :

The government is broke? I'm not laughing.

Shawn P Adamo, QFP, CPA/P :

This 1201 code is a generic code and could mean that you owe back taxes

Shawn P Adamo, QFP, CPA/P :

Are you there?

JACUSTOMER-nkqdji90- :

Hello!

JACUSTOMER-nkqdji90- :

Yes I am here

JACUSTOMER-nkqdji90- :

But I don't owe any back taxes.

Shawn P Adamo, QFP, CPA/P :

hmmm

JACUSTOMER-nkqdji90- :

I was always getting refund back

JACUSTOMER-nkqdji90- :

I always use the same program TurboTAX and was always getting my refund on time except this year

Shawn P Adamo, QFP, CPA/P :

is there am AMT issue?

Shawn P Adamo, QFP, CPA/P :

How/what did you use to file? hand? software?

JACUSTOMER-nkqdji90- :

Online, Turbotax basic

Shawn P Adamo, QFP, CPA/P :

I have spoken to hundres of folks who keep getting pushedack.some for real reasons(back taxes, etc).

Shawn P Adamo, QFP, CPA/P :

I believe you are simply being "stalled". I would expect it but if there are no REAL 1201 issues this can be a delay tactic the IRS is using (honestly).

JACUSTOMER-nkqdji90- :

so, when it is pushed back and there is 1201 code how long it usually take to get refund

Shawn P Adamo, QFP, CPA/P :

several folks have been pushed bak from January to feb (late)

Shawn P Adamo, QFP, CPA/P :

45 days is not uncommon.

Shawn P Adamo, QFP, CPA/P :

I should cliifry (from the "original date"

JACUSTOMER-nkqdji90- :

so, should I call them or just wait

Shawn P Adamo, QFP, CPA/P :

It never hurts to call (sometimes it makes you feel better).

Shawn P Adamo, QFP, CPA/P :

calling them OR NOT calling them will ake little difference.

JACUSTOMER-nkqdji90- :

and if there is a problem-they will contact me and send me some kind of letter?

Shawn P Adamo, QFP, CPA/P :

If there is no REAold up (as I suspect) it will come when they process it.

Shawn P Adamo, QFP, CPA/P :

If there is a reason (even if you call) you'll STILL have to wit for a paper response.

JACUSTOMER-nkqdji90- :

so they will not give the reason over the phone?

Shawn P Adamo, QFP, CPA/P :

yes. ven if you forgot to ceck box tht is irrelevant they can't/won't do it for you.

JACUSTOMER-nkqdji90- :

ok. i see

JACUSTOMER-nkqdji90- :

thank you very much

Shawn P Adamo, QFP, CPA/P :

You may get lucky and get an answer but either way I bet the refund gets there the same time whether you call or not.

JACUSTOMER-nkqdji90- :

so, is 1201 mean audit or not necessary?

JACUSTOMER-nkqdji90- :

just delay?

Shawn P Adamo, QFP, CPA/P :

I'm sorry. This is the curreent happenings due to economics, staff cuts, etc.

Shawn P Adamo, QFP, CPA/P :

just delay....

JACUSTOMER-nkqdji90- :

ok. i see. thank you very much for your help

Shawn P Adamo, QFP, CPA/P :

wish I had a more comfortinmg answer but theose are the facts.

Shawn P Adamo, QFP, CPA/P :

If this does not answer your question please let me know.

If this answers your question please click the green ACCEPT button and leave Positive Feedback (

JACUSTOMER-nkqdji90- :

thank you very much for your answer. I guess I just wait for couple weeks

Shawn P Adamo, QFP, CPA/P :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

ShawnA
ShawnA
ShawnA