How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17223
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a regular job, but this year I did some work for a friends

This answer was rated:

I have a regular job, but this year I did some work for a friend's business. I received a 1099-MISC for the work I did. Do I have to report this as self-employment or can I report this as additional income? The work I did was unrelated to my regular job for which I received a W2.

Wallstreet Esq. :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification.

Wallstreet Esq. :

You would be better off in claiming the income as self employment income, as you can then deduct every expense associated with your work for your friend. In fact you could deduct travel expenses, part of your cell phone bills, insurance etc. for the time you were working for your friend.

Wallstreet Esq. :

If there are no related business expense related to this 1099-Misc Income, than you have to report this amount on 1040 page 1, under Other miscellaneous income subject to S/E taxes.

Here you are out of luck and will have to pay the 15.3% S/E tax and have the income all be subjected to your regular tax.(marginal tax)

Wallstreet Esq. :

I would report this 1099-Misc income on your schedule C listing the activity along with all the reasonable business expenses.

Customer :

if i have little to no business expenses, and decide to report this as additional income instead of SE will I be at risk for an audit?

Wallstreet Esq. :

It would be better to be added on s/e however adding it as additional income will in rare cases trigger an audit but if the amount is less than $10,000 I would not worry.

Wallstreet Esq. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you