Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I need to file my taxes and I am unsure whether to claim my

Customer Question
dtr who turned 18 last...
I need to file my taxes and I am unsure whether to claim my dtr who turned 18 last year. she is a full time high school student planning to attend college in the fall. she also has a child, which qualifies her as an independent student on the FAFSA. If I claim her, will this interfere with the amount of student aid she receives?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
2/2/2011
Tax Professional: Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney replied 6 years ago
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney

Wallstreet Esq. :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification.

JACUSTOMER-pjbn7njl- :

I do not see a response

Wallstreet Esq. :

Will she be living with you when she attends college?

JACUSTOMER-pjbn7njl- :

yes

Wallstreet Esq. :

Will you be supporting her child as well?

JACUSTOMER-pjbn7njl- :

I will, although she is working now and will be contributing approx. 50%

Wallstreet Esq. :

She is allowed to file for Financial aid as an independent student, as the rules state that since she has a dependant she is considered independent.

Wallstreet Esq. :

"You yourself can claim a dependent for tax purposes"

Wallstreet Esq. :

The Regulations state this:

Wallstreet Esq. :

In your situation, you could claim your daughter as a dependent as she is under 24 and will be a full time student, however she will need to file a tax return to prove that she has a dependant.

Wallstreet Esq. :

She would file a tax return, and claim her child.

JACUSTOMER-pjbn7njl- :

will she need to file for 2010 or 2011?

Wallstreet Esq. :

Whenever she has income she would file.

Wallstreet Esq. :

It would be best if she files a 2010 tax return.

JACUSTOMER-pjbn7njl- :

thank you for your help

Wallstreet Esq. :

I would also consider, having her file her application now, and since you did not declare as has a dependent their is no issue. The IRS and Department of Education do not in reality share information so that is an option. You would file in April or file an extension.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney