Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

my mother gave me her house 6 months prior to her passing away.

Customer Question
I sold it (it was...
my mother gave me her house 6 months prior to her passing away. I sold it (it was not my primary residence). I have a 1099-s form from the sale. Do I owe federal taxes on the sale? What is it categorized as ( a gift, inheritance, ...? )
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
2/2/2011
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 6 years ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good evening. It would have been far better to have received the house after she died. By receiving it as a gift prior to death, your basis in the property is her purchase price plus any capital improvements she made. Thus, you would have a capital gain equal to the sale price (less closing costs) less your basis. Had you received it at death, the basis would have stepped up to fair market value and there would have been no gain on the sale. The capital gains tax rate on your capital gain is zero if you are in the 10% or 15% marginal income tax rate. Otherwise, the capital gain rate is 15%.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

I split the house sale with my sibling, do we use the total basis and total sale price on our individual returns or do we each use 50% of basis and 50% of sale on our individual returns?
You each take 50%.
Richard, Tax Attorney
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I figured. Now I have to go shovel snow!
Richard, Tax Attorney