How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15443
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Simple question. If you owe the IRS more than 1 million dollars

Resolved Question:

Simple question.
If you owe the IRS more than 1 million dollars but live overseas, will they flag you and automatically know when you come back to the US? what will they do to you?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 6 years ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Robin D :

Will they "flag" you? I really do not know their proceedure as entering the country falls under homeland security but I can advise that they do not have to wait for a citizen to come back to get the debt.

Robin D :

A few tax treaties, however, have mutual-collection-assistance provisions that provide the U.S. government with
a mechanism for enforcing a judgment for unpaid taxes. For example, treaties with Denmark (Art. XVIII, para. 1), France (Art. 27, para. 1), the Netherlands (Art. XXII, para. 1), and Sweden (Art. XVII) have mutual assistance provisions for collection. The treaties generally provide that either party to the treaty will collect a "finally determined tax" owed to the first country as if it were a tax owed in the second country.

Robin D :

The treaty provisions usually provide that a "requesting state" can ask the other treaty partner to collect a tax as if it were owed in that country.

JACUSTOMER-rjaaoa4- :

so if you have money in a bank account in sweden the IRS has the authority to take it away from you?

Robin D :

They can ask the Swedish government to collect the tax from a person in Sweden if the US is owed the tax.

Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions