Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

my income partly from child support and partly from my job.

How should I report my...
my income partly from child support and partly from my job. How should I report my tax?
2/1/2011
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

Robin D :

You only need to report the income from your job. Child Support is not taxable to the receiver nor can the payer use it as a deduction on their tax return.

JACUSTOMER-84okjtfy- :

how about my alimony?

JACUSTOMER-84okjtfy- :

do i need to pay tax for that?

JACUSTOMER-84okjtfy- :

is it different from state to state or it is nationalwide that child support is not taxible?

JACUSTOMER-84okjtfy- :

we live in PA, I will move to NJ

Robin D :

Alimony is taxable (you left that part out in your first message). You are to report the alimony that is court ordered and stated as alimony in your divorce decree or separation agreement

Robin D :

Child Support is not taxable no matter where you move to in the US

JACUSTOMER-84okjtfy- :

if we combine child support and alimony together say it is child support, i can avoid taxpayment right?

Robin D :

No, you must report the court ordered alimony as alimony on your return.

JACUSTOMER-84okjtfy- :

the reason why I say this is beacuse we;ve only married for 1.5 years, according to our state law, i shouldn't get any, but we agreed that he can pay me some for one year

JACUSTOMER-84okjtfy- :

so in my case, the court won't order any alimony to me

JACUSTOMER-84okjtfy- :

can i combine those money we agreed together?

Robin D :

If the payment is not in the decree then it is not alimony , it is a gift and gifts are not taxable to the receiver

JACUSTOMER-84okjtfy- :

ic

JACUSTOMER-84okjtfy- :

that's very helpful

JACUSTOMER-84okjtfy- :

thanks a lot!

Robin D :

You are welcome

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4