Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Greetings, I am a medical resident completing my last year

Greetings, I am a medical resident...
Greetings,
I am a medical resident completing my last year of residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology. I have applied for and been accepted to a fellowship program for subspecialty education.
I spent a few thousand dollars on airfare, hotel accomadations etc while applying and interviewing for my fellowship. Is this tax-deductible?
Also, I had to pay $1700 to take the board exam to become board certified in my professional field...is this fee tax-deductible?
As a medical resident, I do not make that much so anything I can do to maximize a refund would be beneficial, especially since I will have to pay moving expenses in the coming year to move and start my fellowship.
Thanks for your input!
2/1/2011
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good afternoon. Yes...your travel expenses are deductible as is the $1700. The deduction of business meals while you are there would be limited to 50% of the cost of the meals.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney