How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55459
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My parents signed over to my sister and me their house with

This answer was rated:

My parents signed over to my sister and me their house with their having lifetime use in 1992. Dad died in 2003 and Mom died in Feb 2008. I moved in to take care of Mom in April of 2004. I had no other residence at that time. I finished up what I could do in Oct. of 2008 and moved back to Texas. We got the house sold in June of 2010. Can I use my exclusion (I'm 71) on this sale? Do I meet the 2 year test? Cost basis for the house when Mom died was $62K. It was sold for 63K and the proceeds split between my sister and me. Do I have any tax liability? Thanks

Good afternoon. You would not qualify for the 2-year rule. Since your mother gifted the property in 1992, the value at her death is irrelevant. The applicable number is XXXXX her basis in the property was plus any improvements you made subsequently. Then you would owe capital gains tax on one-half (your share) of the $63,000 less the basis as calculated as previously mentioned. Your capital gain rate is zero is you are in the 10% or 15% marginal income tax rates. Otherwise your capital gain tax rate is 15%.



I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I believe the marginal income tax rate would apply then the 1/2 share from the sale does not have to be included on my tax return? No schedule D to fill out?

You would still want to complete Schedule just will not result in any capital gain tax.
Richard and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you